The day that Indianapolis Colts fans have been dreading for five years finally came to pass on Monday as Peyton Manning rode off into the Denver sunset.
Here in Peyton Pass — otherwise known as Central Indiana — we’ve never been quite the same since the most famous neck in football betrayed our NFL destiny in 2011, and now many are in an outright sports mourning phase.
But while Peyton is gone from the field, some great things are eternal.
Like baseball cards, and baseball card blogs.
To soothe our loss and to celebrate the arrival of Spring, here are some of the best posts from the hobby world over the past five days.
- Sports Card Collectors pays homage to the legend in Omaha … Omaha … Set … So Long Peyton.
- Meanwhile, Rich Mueller (@) tells us that … Manning to Sign Career Inscriptions for Fanatics.
- Sale of Peyton Manning autographed items hitting record high, says Anthony Schoettle of the Indianapolis Business Journal (@).
- Fuji (@) reveals the Next Level sets — his number 7-10 best baseball card issues of all time.
- Bob Lemke relates how Dick Hall’s 1963 ‘perfect game’ took 25 days.
- Mike Miley is a typically poignant piece by Josh Wilker (@).
- Night Owl (@) warns that Collecting is a full-time job if you’re not careful with it.
- The San Diego Chicken made Andrew Chrisman’s (@) roll of cards of the day(s).
- Tony L. (
- In A Canadian and a Gentleman, madding details a trade involving some 1988 low-minor league cards.
- Robert at “$30 a week habit” breaks out some vintage-card nostalgia and claims, “I now have more than I need.”
- Bo from “Baseball Cards Come to Life” wonders where Cristian Beltre is today.
- Wally Pipp and Lou Gehrig are side-by-side in vintage cardboard glory thanks to Icon-o-Clasm from Cardboard Icons (@cardboardicons).
- TTM Success means a Claude Osteen autograph for William Regenthal (@foulbuntWilliam) at Foul Bunt.
- NachosGrande (@) continues his assault on a box of 2001 Stadium Club and pulls a Vlad.
- Night Owl (@) shares his 10th Anniversary Musings as his blog reaches the decade mark.
- Oh the horrors! Streetplay.com details the fun — and destructive — games you can play with your baseball cards.
- Super collector and SABR member Jim Haller walks down Pirates memory plank with Craig Meyer (@CraigMeyerPG).
- In Saints from the Stack: a Trade Post the Junior Junkie (@Teejnola) details some New Orleans goodies that the mailman brought.
- Matt Flaten (@) brings us The Minister of Defense! Top 10 Reggie White Football Cards.
- Sports Card Collectors goes to some Forgotten Places with Drew Brees.
- Bob Lemke — via SCD (@SCDmagazine) gives us the shoe horn scoop in Signs You’re a Serious Collector: You Own This Rare Twins Giveaway
- A Muhammad Ali Memorabilia auction will follow a current exhibit, Rich Mueller (@) reports.