We’ve lost some of the world’s favorite musicians this year, but none hits harder for me than Prince. I mean, freaking Prince died?
Maybe it’s because he came into my purview at about the same time that baseball cards did, but Prince was one of those larger than life figures who I just kind of assumed would always be there.
Stupid, naive position, I know.
It’s all ephemeral — sports cards, sunlight, people.
But Prince should have been less ephemeral than 57 years.
So, yeah, for Purple Rain and When the Doves Cry and Little Red Corvette and a bajillion other great songs …
For being a huge purple sports fan …
For living large but too briefly …
Prince get his own weekly roundup post. It’s not much, but it’s what I got.
Gone Too Soon
- Corky paid Pack War final respects to the man and the symbol, Prince.
- Corky also said goodbye to Chyna of WWF fame.
- Mets Fantasy Cards saluted Prince … with baseball cards as background scenery.
- James Quintong (@) at ESPN.com (@ESPN) compiled a series of Prince remembrances from the sports world.
- Five Random Cubs Cards featured Ryno with a ‘stache, courtesy of Wrigley Wax (@).
- The Daily Dimwit (@) bid adieu to the hobby with It’s been a fun ride…
- toppcat toured through 1969 Topps Baseball Mini Stickers.
- Things got hairy for The Chop Keeper (@) at his daughter’s birthday party.
- Nachos Grande (@) unveiled a summer baseball card project that involves a table top eaten by cardboard.
- @breakdowncards broke down a box of 2016 Donruss.
- An eBay Card Show broke out while Tony L. (@) was getting some down time from a deposition.
- Topps’ Double-Zero Cards Of The 1960s Had Some Big Names, says Bob D’Angelo (@).
- Bo (@) showcased his Wallet Card at Yankee Stadium.
- A Bag Of 1987 Topps Baseball Coins was the special of the day at The Shlabotnik Report.
- Roy Face came through TTM for William Regenthal (@).
- Night Owl (@) christened the best set of the year for 1989.
- Johnny Wright is often forgotten, writes Gary Joseph Cieradkowski.
- madding (@) is already suffering from Cubs Fatigue.
- Never seen a 1971 Topps NL Stolen Base Leaders issue with Bobby Tolan, Lou Brock, Bobby Bonds? It’s a card that never was, by John Hogan.
- In Team Spaceman, Josh Wilker (@) talks to Jesse Spector about baseball cards.
- 1994 Leaf Limited Baseball got the Cheap Wax Wednesday treatment from Shane Salmonson (@ShaneSalmonson).
- Sports Card Collectors went back two decades for Sunday’s With Rodney:1994 Pacific Prism.
- Matt Flaten (@) Sorted Through the Green Bay Packer Backup Quarterbacks.
- Sports Card Info (@) featured the Herb Adderley 1961 Packers Lake To Lake #30.