OK, technically the 2016 Final Four doesn’t start until tomorrow, but the Road to Houston is still THE sports story of the past week.
Of course, Opening Day is on Sunday, so this is one of the biggest sporting weekends of the year and the biggest of the Spring.
And, as always, there is plenty of hobby reading to prime our pumps for the excitement to come. With that in mind, here are the best posts from our pastime in the last week.
- Rich Mueller (@) gives us the long and tall — and lean — on 1977-78 Topps Basketball.
- Rich also keys us in to Five Affordable, Cool Vintage Basketball Cards.
- 2015-16 Panini Revolution Basketball is the Pack to Be Named Later by @.
- Andrew Chrisman (@) flashes back to the modern Opening Day (1989) for the Bowman brand.
- RayFranchise remembers 1988 Topps Big Baseball Series 2.
- @ goes back to the future with a 2016 Donruss Baseball Jumbo Pack.
- William Regenthal (@) had TTM Success with Mark Thurmond.
- Five Random Cubs Cards from Wrigley Wax (@) featured a cherry 1963 Topps Peel-Off of Ken Hubbs.
- Ray Fosse was already Cardboard God when Pete Rose steamrolled him, and Josh Wilker (@) catches the action 10 years later.
- Billy: The White Whale recounts how @ scored one big autographed card but still needs another.
- Bonnets and bunnies: did you get baseball cards in your Easter Basket? Jeff Wilk (@) didn’t, so he made his own haul.
- If you think baseball cards were primitive 25 years ago, you may be surprised by the beauty of Sports Card Collectors’ Top 5 1991 Upper Deck Baseball cards.
- 1971 Topps AL Leading Firemen: Ron Perranoski, Lindy McDaniel, Tom Timmermann never was, but John Hogan made it real … er, virtual.
- A beautiful 1954 Topps Luke Easter was one of Andrew Chrisman’s (@) cards of the day.
- A Gaggle Of Buhners landed on Corky’s doorstep, and he tells us all about them.
- Most awesome post of the week belongs to Gary Joseph Cieradkowski, who will have his artwork featured in the new bleacher section of Wrigley Field!
- Must have been the week for ’88s, as we profiled 1988 Topps and @ShaneSalmonson broke out the nostalgia with 1988 Donruss All-Stars Pop-Ups on Fresh Wax Wednesday.
- In Popsicle Stars, toppcat gives us the scoop on the 1963 Astronaut Pictures set.
- Matt Flaten (@) tells us about an Unexpected Rico Carty Sighting.
- P-Town Tom: #SuperTrader sent Tony L. (@) an interesting bunch of oddball Brewers cards.